Dr. John Hudson Garrett Jr. is a driven, results-oriented, and collaborative healthcare and medical executive with a proven track record of growing clinical/medical affairs strategy across a broad variety of targets including both inpatient and outpatient healthcare settings, as well as community settings.
Dr. Garrett’s specific focus has been on the prevention of Healthcare-Associated and Community-Associated infection prevention and control. Recognized expert in Infection Prevention, Infectious Disease, Medical Device Safety, Medical Device Hygiene and Risk Management, Global Health, Healthcare Epidemiology, Environmental Services, Disinfection, Hand Hygiene, Vascular Access, Nursing, Food Safety, Patient Safety, Medical Affairs, Design thinking, Leadership Training, and Emergency Preparedness.
He is an extremely agile leader and has extensive relationships with both Key Opinion Leaders and also critical stakeholders such as the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC), Association for Perioperative Registered Nurses (AORN), Association for Vascular Access (AVA), the Organization for Safety, Asepsis, and Prevention (OSAP), Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA), The World Health Organization (WHO), and The Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In addition, Dr. Garrett has experience in antimicrobial resistance, Healthcare Associated Infections, Infection Prevention programs, Communicable Diseases, Outbreaks, Integrated Health systems and Delivery Networks, Group Purchasing Organizations, and other key stakeholders and partners. He is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at the University of Louisville School of Medicine. Dr. Garrett is an inducted Distinguished Fellow and Practictioner in the National Academies of Practice.
Comments, postings, and views represent the personal opinions of Dr. Garrett and are not Representative of any employer or other party.
- Medical Device Safety, Risk Management, and Infection Control Consulting
- Legal Consulting for Outbreaks
- Executive Leadership Development
- DISC Profiles and Leadership Coaching
- Live and Recorded Webinars
- Live Presentations for Sales/Marketing Meetings
- Key Opinion Leader Meetings
- Medical Writing
- Continuing Education Workshops, Webinars, and Articles
- Sales and Marketing Clinical Training
- Case Studies and White Papers
- Clinical Product Development
- Speaking Engagements (Domestic and International)
- Medical Affairs Consulting
- General Customer Consultation
Dr. Garrett currently works with the following stakeholders and healthcare markets:
- Acute Care Hospitals
- Industry (Medical Device and Pharmaceutical)
- Government Regulators
- Long Term Acute Care Hospitals
- Long Term Care/Post-Acute Care Facilities
- Dental Practices and Oral Healthcare
- Community Health Centers
- Community Delivered Healthcare
- Community Settings
- Educational Institutions
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Police Departments
- Fire Departments
Dr. Garrett's Core Areas of Expertise
Infection Prevention and Control, Public Health, Epidemiology, Patient Safety, Vascular Access, Infectious Diseases, Long Term Care Nursing, Professional Board of Directors Development, Strategic Planning, Medical Publication Strategy, Clinical Research, Emergency Medicine and Critical Care Medicine, Prehospital Medicine, Sterilization and Disinfection, Hand Hygiene, Skin Antisepsis, Medical Science Liaison, Clinical Affairs, Medical Affairs, Clinical Regulatory Affairs, Medical Device Hygiene, Certification, Medical Device Outbreaks and Risk Management, Gastroenterology Infection Control and Patient Safety, Board Certification, Food Safety and Outbreaks.
- National Association of Directors of Nursing Administration/LTC (NADONA)
- Association for the Healthcare Environment (AHE)
- Infection Prevention Institute
- Association for Vascular Access
- National Patient Safety Foundation
- Organization for Safety, Asepsis, and Prevention
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Infection Prevention Tips
- Society for Gastroenterology Nurses and Technicians
Dr. Garrett has been published in many publications including:
- Journal of the Association of Vascular Access
- Techniques and Innovations in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- The Director: Journal of the National Association of Directors of Nursing Administration/LTC
- Infection Control Today
- AORN Journal
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Blog
- Healthcare Purchasing News
- McKnight’s Long Term Care
- Journal of Dental Infection Control and Safety
- Healthcare Facilities Management
- Hospitals and Health Networks
- Forbes Nonprofit Council, Forbes-2020.
- Distinguished Fellow and Practitioner, National Academies of Practice-2019.
- Forbes Nonprofit Council, Forbes-2019.
- Distinguished Honorary Fellow, Harvard Square Leadership Excellence-2019.
- President’s Advisory Council, The John Maxwell Team-2019.
- Emerging Leader in Infection Control Award, Organization for Safety, Asepsis, and Prevention-2018.
- Senior Fellow, Management and Strategy Institute-2018.
- Special Recognition Volunteer Award, Dekalb County Board of Health Medical Reserve Corps-2018.
- Forbes Nonprofit Council, Forbes-2018.
- Fellow, Management and Strategy Institute-2016.
- Above and Beyond Award, National Association of Directors of Nursing Administration in Long Term Care-2016.
- Honorary Lifetime Member Award, National Association of Directors of Nursing Administration in Long Term Care-2016.
- Impact Award Nominee, Association for Vascular Access-2016.
- Fellow in the Academy of National Directors of Nursing Administration (FACDONA)-2015
- Fellow in the American Academy of Project Management (FAAPM)-2015
- Inductee, Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society-2015
- Inductee-Nursing Leader, Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing-2015
- Association for Vascular Access Suzanne Herbst Vascular Access Award Nominee-2015
- Worldwide Who’s who Registry of Executives, Professionals, and Entrepreneurs VIP-2014
- Who’s Who in Infection Prevention, Infection Control Today Magazine-2013
- Top Nurse for Atlanta, Georgia, International Nursing Association-2012
- Association for Vascular Access Suzanne Herbst Vascular Access Award Nominee-2012.
- Greater Atlanta Chapter of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology Member of the Year-2012
- Association for Vascular Access Suzanne Herbst Vascular Access Award 2010 Nominee-2010
- Presidential Award and Citation, Society for Critical Care Medicine -2010
- Empire’s Who’s Who Among Executives in Healthcare and Nursing-2009
- DeKalb County Board of Health Medical Reserve Corp’s Volunteer Award-2007